Thursday, September 13, 2007

Mei-Li Teacher

My first official week of teaching is almost over and I am so ready for the weekend. I am still dealing with my frustrations of the lack of transportation home from my second school and the fact that my students will be a week behind. I was told by the other teachers that the students are at a lower level than at my main school and that truly worries me. They are however, more vocal - even if it is in Korean.



Teaching so far has not been that bad because I mainly just introduced myself and gave a run down of the class, let them pick their groups and group names, and let them ask questions about me and my country. Next week we will actually work.



I just don't know how real teachers do it. You know what I mean...the ones who actually want to do, go to school for it, not just look at it as a chance at free travel and a way to improve their credit. This is why I have new respect for my friends who choose to do this for a living. I am also grateful to God for friends to go through this with so that when I have my culture shock I am given a reality slap. Although my original reasons for accepting this position is what keeps me grinning and bearing it, I am seeing a whole new reason to be here.



First off Korea is culturally homogeneous and are not used to mixing with other cultures and freely uses the term "foreigner" which I hate. But you know one of my friends kindly told me "You know Mei-Li you can ask them why they do what they do as much as you want but they will never be able to answer it because they have no point of reference. This is all they know" This is all they know.



I taught 3rd graders (Side note: Korean school students start the grade count over when they reach a new school. So instead of going from 8th in middle school to 9th in high school they go from 3rd in middle school to 1st in high school)



The third graders were actually pretty cool. There was even one student who skipped class to take mine twice! But I kinda busted him, I think they were surprised I recognized him. See the thing is once you live in Asia you realize that all Asians don't look alike. Some may have similar features, but they do look different.



I am still a star in my second school and surprisingly it's getting pretty old. I thought me of all people would love the attention but not really. It gets old quickly. I can't imagine how celebrities do it. I guess I am gaining new respect for a diverse group of people. At my main school they are used to seeing me so they pretty much know how to act around me. They say "Good Morning" and bow, I don't have any favorites but I do see some challenges in every class.



I am starting to get closer to my co-teachers and it really helps when trying to get things accomplished. My bank card, downloading music, catching the train, all that is dependant on the help of co-teachers. I truly appreciate them.

FRIDAY

It is the last day of the week and I am on my way to Seoul for the weekend with my friends. It has started raining again and the rumor is that a typhoon is on it's way. That is unfortunate.

My first week of classes are over and next week should run a bit smoother I am hoping.

I got my insurance card and am truly nervous about health care in Korea. I can see that I am going to have to do my own research because words like "Co-Pay" "preventative care" and "sister facility" have confused my co-teacher. So let's just pray I don't have to have another mini surgery like I did in France. Oh yeah and that the doctor I choose speaks English.

Have a great weekend. Cause I plan to!

0 comments: