Monday, April 21, 2008

Learning Fashion Lingo

Dang nabbit I have so much to learn if I want to be taken seriously in this business so I am brushing up on and learning new fashion lingo. I am really serious about my career in fashion and am doing all that I can to get my head and both feet in the door. So I have been all over the internet reading fashion blogs and news sites for more information on the inside track. So I have subscribed to this great great great fashion blog The Fashion Bomb

This blog is all about urban fashion and features a section called Breaking into Fashion which allows readers to email questions about breaking into the industry and every capacity from PR to Modeling they get real people in the business to give really great advice. It was reading this that I realized I am not up on the lingo and that must change now. Not only the lingo but some of the fashion history, back stories, and insiders one who is serious about their career must know. There is no entry on Brand Management or Product Line Development so I think I will just have to write in some time soon.

Anywhooooo I was wondering exactly where to put all this great information and ling that I learn and there is not better place than my own space! So here we go:

First from the Chicago Tribune:

  • Couture: Custom-made clothing originated in France (really really really expensive)
  • Diffusion Line: "collection of clothing that aims to offer a designer's aesthetic to the masses" (price is a bit lower)
  • Shift vs Sheath:"Both refer to uncomplicated-looking dresses that end somewhere around the knee. The difference is that a shift tends to be less fitted around the waist and hips. Its straight lines are sweet and waifish in a way that the sheath, with all of its body-clinging tenacity, never will be."
  • Trunk Show: when a designer comes to town to show and sale its latest designs to the locals
Next are terms that I read from The Fashion Bomb that I have to be honest I just dont know so I will be looking them up as I type: (compliments of Wikipedia)

  • Masthead: a list, usually found on the editorial page of a newspaper or other periodical, listing the publisher, editorial board, advertising rates, etc.
  • Well Story
  • Run of Show
  • Sittings Editor
  • Atelier: artists studio or work room
Okay so if it is left blank that means that I have not found the definition but I will some time very soon. Also I will be investing in fashion insider books the titles of which will have to come at a later date outside of:



I will have to check back for other books I would purchase to fill my head but for now this is a must. Like a new spring wardrobe, it's getting hot out people and you know what that means. I am upping my workout regiment adding Pilates and cardio together for the desired results.

Okay back on track. So the thing I know to be true about me is that when I am passionate about something or something is burning a hole in my brain I must entertain it to the fullest otherwise it will fall by the wayside and who knows when that passion will arise again. So now I am trying to feed as much of my fashion lingo/insider as I can. Now dont get me wrong Fashion is what I live breathe and eat and has been for a while, but when I am like this I know me and I need to immerse myself 110%.

Well I am about to head to bed but I want to leave you with this link: Who What Wear Daily

TTYS!

0 comments: